How to Apply
Application and Supporting Documents
Applicants are required to complete an online application through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. This process requires the applicant to upload required supporting documents to their online application on or before the application submission deadline.
You can apply to this program through any of the three departments associated with the MatCH program (Medical Genetics, Pediatrics and Obstetrics and Gynecology).
Process: Once you have submitted your online application to the Faculty of Graduate Studies, also email the MatCH program (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know that you are interested in being considered for the program. You are not committeed to your department of application for your final choice of laboratory/supervisor.
Please see the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Prospective Student Website for lots of information on being a Graduate Student here at the University of Alberta.
Application for Graduate Admission
Students must complete the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's (FGSR) online application for graduate admission. The application takes approximately 30 to 40 minutes to complete and a $100 CAD non-refundable application fee is required.
Prepare Your Required Supporting Documents
Prepare the following required supporting documents to upload to your online application. All supporting documents must be uploaded on or before the application submission deadline.
You will need to provide the following documents for your full application:
• transcripts or marksheet in original language
• marksheet in English translation (if original is not in English)
• degree certificate in original language
• degree certificate in English Translation (if original is not in English)
• where the transcript states a degree has been conferred, an official degree certificate is not required
Letters of Reference
• three references from persons (preferably a professor, teacher or employer) who are knowledgeable about your academic and research potential and capabilities. You will need to supply the names of your referees and their institutional email address in the online application.
Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• In one page, you must summarize your background and explain why you wish to pursue Graduate Studies in our program and your career goals.
List of Potential Investigators/Laboratories
• Please include a list of 5 Investigators/laboratories that you would be interested in working with. Please indicate if you have been in contact with the principle investigator(s) of interest directly. You can find a list of investigators interested in working with MatCH students in our 'Positions Available' tab, however you are not limited to this list. If there is a supervisor that you are particularly interested in working with, and they are within the Department of Pediatrics, Medical Genetics or Obstetrics and Gynecology, then the MatCH Program can approach them on your behalf and see if they are willing to work with you.
Please refer to the application documents for either the Canadian Admissions Protocol or International Admissions Protocol to ensure that all your academic application documents are acceptable.
*If you receive an Official Admission Letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research, you must request official transcripts and degree certificates (if applicable) be sent from the relevant institution directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research.
Do NOT send any documents to the MatCH Program.
Once you have received your letter of official admission from FGSR, we ask that you email the MatCH Program email@example.com to confirm your intention to attend.
**ANY INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED**